Re: Key Situation

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com (Roland Dudley)
Subject: Re: Key Situation
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 92 11:33:29 CDT
Roland Dudley writes >

>Speaking of keys, I only have one complete set for the snake.  I'd like
>to have another set made but I doubt that any local hardware stores
>around here will have have the blanks for them.  Do any of the
>Brit car parts suppliers sell key blanks?  The ones I need appear to be
>fairly generic looking.  They're only keyed on one side and the keyed
>parts are one inch long.  These particular keys are for Wilmot Breeden
>locks but they look very much like the Action Industries keys.  Stamped
>on the back side of the WB keys are the words "UNION" and "MADE IN
>ENGLAND".  I'm not sure what the significants of the word "UNION" is.

All the keys I had for both Midgets looked the same.  The blank for the Europa
appears identical.  All of them (that I did not have made) say "UNION" on them.
Memory is not that reliable, but I think the keys for the Rover 2000TC were the
same, too.  Maybe all British cars have the same keys?

Go to a real locksmith.  I couldn't find any blanks at the local outlets with
trained monkeys, but a well-known Saint Paul locksmith had no trouble at all,
was quick and reasonable.

Since there is no ignition lock on the Europa (how it passed the Hawaii safety
inspection perplexes me a bit), I saved two ignition switches out of the Midget
stash.  I will MAKE a place for it in the koa fascia.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman