Dealing with insurance droids on damaged collector cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Dealing with insurance droids on damaged collector cars
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 92 12:22:26 EDT
|Date: 7-23-92  12:21am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
|Subj: Dealing with insurance droids on damaged collector cars
   I apologize for this not having any LBC content, but the same things
are involved if an old LBC was wrecked.  Last weekend
someone rearended me at 40 mph.  My car is an '83 Alfa gtv6.  The
insurance company came up with a body repair estimate of $1810.  An Alfa
place totalled it upon first inspection and another place came up with
$4735.  This is just for the body work!  The insurance company wants to
put a used bumper for $300 on instead of a new assembly for $1435.  What
kind of argument can I use to get a new assebly since a non-original
used one would drop the value even further?
    The suspension is also damaged, but they say the body needs to be
straightened before the suspension damage can be estimated.
    I figured that some of you guys must have gone through this with
your LBC's and stupid people hitting your cars.  Luckily I haven't had
it happen to my midget yet.

     Help please,
        Dean