RE: Dealing with insurance droids on damaged collector cars

To: british-cars@hoosier, Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Subject: RE: Dealing with insurance droids on damaged collector cars
From: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 92 11:37:49 PDT
<Origional Insurance Text deleted>

I had problems with the insurance when my 320i was totaled several years ago.
The body shop who I usually do business with totaled it (they always use
factory new parts when available).  The insurance company had an estimate done
at another place, which wanted to use a used front clip.  They ended up
totaling it, but not after dawdling around for 4 weeks.  I learned two things
out of it; one, a lot of insurance policies have fine print in them allowing
them to use used parts if they like.  Second, California has a law on the books
that says you only need to get one estimate at the body shop of YOUR choice.
So if your shop wants the business, they'll fight it out with the adjuster.
It's really important to get a shop you trust with your car, there's a lot of
bozo's in the auto body business.

Mike G.