RE>too much pressure...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE>too much pressure...
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 22 Jul 92 08:03:10
        Reply to:   RE>too much pressure...
Randy Taylor writes:

... Bad SU's!!  BAH!

***** S'True.   SU's really are quite good carburetors.  They are elegant in
their simplicity, and left alone, they mostly just work.   Trouble is, that
people often dork with them when they should be setting their timing....

Every wiring fault, no matter how high-quality wirenuts and bandaids used in
the last patch, are blamed on poor old Joe Lucas.

**** IMHO The trouble with British wiring is that the individual bullet
connectors practically invite Previous Owner Hacking.   The multiple molded
connectors used on more plebian vehicles keep their electrical systems pure,
just because they look so forbidding. :-)

      As a rule, when I buy a used car, I can expect to spend a day or so with
soldering iron and shrink wrap tubing, correcting electrical bodges.  If it's
bad enough, the check hits the mail for a new harness.  Voila!  Reliable Lucas
Electrics!

     ....a '70 Alfa Spyder; twin DCOE's and Marelli electrics. There's a reason

     old Alfa's have less miles on them than old MGB's. :>

***** I don't know about the Spyders.  I do know two people with '73 Alpha
coupes.  One has 270,000 miles on it ( original engine, needed head work at
190,000 ), and the other one has 190,000 miles.  Not too bad...

         - Jerry