Re: too much pressure...

To: metzger@decwet.ENET.dec.com
Subject: Re: too much pressure...
From: uunet!tc.fluke.COM!pwv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 92 12:14:10 PDT
> It looks like the oil is leaking out wherever it can via the crankcase.
> For example it's slipping past the joint between the crank and the
> crankcase, it's also getting pushed past the threads of the bolt that you
> remove to drain the oil. It looks to me like I'm getting some severe
> positive pressure in my crankcase that is pushing the oil out.

Are you sure that you definitely have a pressurized crankcase?  If you do,
you will hear & feel a 'whoosh' of pressure when you open the oil filler
cap after a bit of running.

> What would cause this? The only thing I can think of is that I'm getting
> blowby at the piston rings that is causing the positive pressure in the
> crankcase and therefore the oil leak.

Even a new engine has some amount of blow-by - it's the amount that makes
the difference between a new engine and a tired one.  Anyway, even if you
do have a lot of blow-by, I don't think that's your problem here.  Your
engine should be able to vent the pressure - check out the PCV hose, valve,
and especially where the hose connects to the intake manifold.  A
restriction here would be the likely cause of a pressurized crankcase.

> Oil pressure is great at 70 lbs cold, 60 lbs under throttle and 40 lbs at
> idle warm....Could the weber be creating such a power jump that it is
> causing all this?

Hmmmmm...  Just where does the PCV hose get connected when you do a Weber
conversion?

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Read dozens of books about Heros and Crooks, and I learned much
                 from both of their styles."
                                      - J. Buffett,  Son of a Son of a Sailor