Re: Stuck pistons

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net),
Subject: Re: Stuck pistons
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 92 8:57:58 MDT
I had a TR3 engine with stuck pistons.  The advantage with the 3 engine was
that I could pull the piston and the liner as a unit.  After soaking in
penetrating oil and punding and heating and soaking, etc.  I took it to a
machine shop to have it pressed out.  First we hot tanked it while we built
an elaborate base to hold the sleve on the press.  Then it was out of the hot
tank and into the press.  This was no whimpy press either, 10 tons later
nothing.  Back into the hot tank.  Back into the press.  10 tonsof pressure
and a shot from the fire extenguisher.  LOUD EXPLODING SOUND and flying
parts.  After examining the damage we found that the piston was still stuck,
however the sleve was now 2 pieces the upper half and the lower half or skirt
with the piston still embeded.  Fortunatly I could buy new sleves and
pistons.  Later I just had to know what could make the piston stick to the
sleve like that.  So I cut the sleve on the band saw and split it off the
piston.  The rings (Steel) had formed a nice battery with the pistons
(aluminum), the rings were buried in an inch wide corroded strip all the way
around the piston.
--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley