Re: Header Insulation

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Header Insulation
From: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 92 11:21:30 EDT
Phil E. writes:

Header companies and racers talk about headers burning out really fast when
wrapped.  I wrapped the header on the Midget, but I did not run the car that
much before I sold it, and I never unwrapped the header to check. I don't think

I would do it again.

The current consensus seems to be that headers run cooler and last longer,
whilst keeping the exhaust gasses hotter, by having the header ceramic coated
inside and out.

My whole exhaust system from headers thru tail pipe is stainless steel. Wouldn't
stainless be better at durability than normal steel, when it comes to wrapping?
I also wonder if stainless could be coated with porcelin?  I guess the point
is moot, for I have no intention of removing the headers to do that. (It was a
real "labor of love" to put then in!).

I guess I'll play it safe and follow Phil's suggestion to just wrap the motor
mount. One more mount (@$20) is far cheaper than the headers.

-Bob T.