More Fuel Pump (79 MGB)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More Fuel Pump (79 MGB)
From: srt@aero.org
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 92 13:44:13 PDT
Thanks to Randy for the advice on where to find the inertia switch, and
which wires to check on the harness connectors.

Unfortunately, I misdiagnosed last week.  Contrary to early reports,
there is indeed electricity making it to the pump.  To summarize:

        * No fuel in fuel filter.
        * White wire to pump is "hot".
        * Black wire on top of pump, which leads to a ground connection
          through a blue component (maybe a fuse?), is cold past the
          blue component.  Anyone know what this is?  Some kind of safety
          feature to ground out the hot wire?
        * Black wire on bottom side of pump (under the car) is cold.
        * No noise from pump.

>From this is would seem that the pump is dead.  Can one normally hear
a late-model MGB fuel pump in operation?  Is there some other way to
determine whether the fuel pump is (in fact) operational without
pulling it?  I suppose I could measure the electrical load with the
pump connected and not.  Any other diagnoses?

The next question is, is it difficult to swap in a new fuel pump?  It
look like taking off the inlet and outlet pipes might be a pain.  Any
other potential problems?  Is this a dangerous procedure?  Is it safe
to pull the pump and then wait, say a week, to put on the new one?

                                                -- Scott T.