Re: British <-> American

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: British <-> American
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 92 09:50:52 -0400
paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders) writes:

> I think "indicator" is definitely the most common term in the UK, but I
> come from Essex (common end of the land) and we've always referred to
> indicators as "winkers" - much to the amusement of my American friends.

Yes!  We used the term "winkers" up in Derbyshire (where I'm from) too!
I'd forgotton that one.  Sigh.....

I've also heard the term "flashers" too (stop giggling).  I've heard
some Americans use that, come to think of it.

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert