Re: British <-> American

To: SOL <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Re: British <-> American
From: berry@athos.pei.com (Berry Kercheval)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 92 09:00:11 PDT
>>>>> On Wed, 8 Jul 92 09:39:17 EDT, paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders) said:

Paul> "trafficator" refers to the old style of indicator used by 30's cars -

Not just '30s -- my '51 Bentley has them.  After I cleaned them up,
replaced the bulbs and polished the solenoid shaft they worked fine --
well, as fine as they ever did...it had a 12-volt system.

Paul> they're not much good in modern traffic, and we've had many a near miss
Paul> with people who don't know where to look for them - the hand signal is
Paul> always a safe precaution.

Alas, the Bentley is RHD, so people don't look for hand signals on the
right side, or worse, disregard what the 'passenger' is waving about.
In the coming restoration I'm going to wire proper turn signals in if
it can be done easily.

(pause while entire list laughs hysterically at Berry's optimistic
challenge to the Prince of Darkness...)

  --berry

--
Berry Kercheval :: berry@pei.com :: Protocol Engines, Inc.  Mt. View, CA
"And there's more where that came from!"