Re: British <-> American

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British <-> American
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 92 09:39:17 EDT
 - Indicators/semaphores/trafficators - winkers?

Just to try and clear up a little confusion over the use of these words
for the indication of direction. Firstly, I don't think I have ever heard
them referred to as semaphores in the UK. However, it is my belief that
"trafficator" refers to the old style of indicator used by 30's cars -
you know, the type that swung upwards out of the door post of the vehicle
and emitted a dull orange glow. My Dad has these "trafficators" on his
1936 Morris 8 (it names them trafficators in his 30's manual) although
I'm sure they were still used on the early Morris Minors. They are a
continuous cause for trouble and often need assistance in popping out -
often depending on the particular curvature of the road at the time of
"traffication" - well the car only runs on a 6 volt battery! Unfortunately,
they're not much good in modern traffic, and we've had many a near miss
with people who don't know where to look for them - the hand signal is
always a safe precaution.

I think "indicator" is definitely the most common term in the UK, but I
come from Essex (common end of the land) and we've always referred to
indicators as "winkers" - much to the amusement of my American friends.

-Paul.