Re: Short trip, long haul

To: mjb@hoosier
Subject: Re: Short trip, long haul
From: gla-aux!glenn@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu (Glenn Austin)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 22:45:29 PDT

In Regards to your letter <9112200328.AA15620@hoosier.utah.edu>:
> Long haul:
> This is off the subject of these lists, but I'll risk the ire of the net
> and ask anyway.  There is a slim chance I may be in the market for a
> different truck soon.  My '78 Datsun King Cab is nearing the end of its
> useful life, and I will need a tow vehicle of some description.  Something
> one wouldn't mind driving heavily laden from Salt Lake, to say, Savannah.
> And back, of course.  I'm thinking of a mid eighties small truck, anything
> else I should consider?  Should I just put a Nissan V6 into my old truck?
> An old American V8 wagon with air and heavy duty towing package?  A Land
> Rover with a Mustang 5 liter motor?

If you can find a good used Nissan hardbody (1986.5 or later) with the V6,
GET IT!!!  I had 7000+ lbs GCWR and hauled it easily over the San Bernardino
mountains in 100+ degree temp, and still didn't overheat when cars all around
me were having major problems!  This is with a 1986.5 Nissan SE/V6 with
the power (electrics) package and air.  The A/C almost freezes us out of
the pickup!

Oh, by the way -- I had PLENTY of power (and brakes!) to haul a 1000+ lb
overload about 1300 miles from eastern WA to LA.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |