Re: RE: annoying insurance problem

To: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Michael D. Burdick)
Subject: Re: RE: annoying insurance problem
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 14:34:58 pst
> these kinds of hassles aren't worth it.  I have AAA now but am switching to
> State Farm (better prices).  Happy insurance shopping.

About ten years ago I switched from State Farm to AAA because of better
rates.  Three years ago I switched back when my, then, 16 year old son
stated driving.  Prior to this time AAA's rates were lower than State
Farm's for low risk drivers like my wife and myself.  We're middle aged
and have good driving records.  When I wanted to add my son, AAA
wouldn't even discuss any discounts for him, plus I wasn't allowed to
insure him separately with another company.  AAA's policy was that they
insured all driver in a household or none.  I opted for the latter.  But
I have had a certain amount of grief with State Farm too.  Now my son is
away at college and only drives during the summer and during extended
breaks.  I've had some very heated discussions with my agent about what
coverage I should have under the circumstances.  My feeling was that
coverage for my son should be completely dropped except during the times
when he had access to one of our cars.  My agent kept insisted that he
needed some kind of occasional drivers coverage, which cost about half
what full liability coverage costs.  Since even this is damned
expensive, I argued the point.  It was only after our argument got
heated to the point where I was ready to move my business to another
company (including several other policies) that my agent acknowledged
that State Farm only required that all of our licensed cars be insured,
but not necessarily for liability.  So for nine months or so out of the
year, one of the most hack out '70 VW bugs humankind has ever laid eyes
on sit, undriven, in front of my house fully insured against theft.  The
cost for this completely useless coverage is about 1/10th the cost of
the occasional driver's liability policy my agent would liked to have
sold me.

Roland