annoying insurance problem

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: annoying insurance problem
From: dmunroe@gollum.wr.tek.com
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 10:27:22 PST
My insurance company, Farmers, doesn't believe the vehicle i.d. for
my car is correct.  It's not my agent, but rather some nebulous
main office in some other city.

It was brought into this country from overseas and the i.d. is in a
slightly different format than for cars exported directly to the
U.S.  To satisfy the insurance company, I photocopied a page out of
the shop manual which showed how to interpret my vehicle i.d., I
then explained each segment of the i.d. to show that it, indeed,
was correct for the car I have.  I thought that ought to take care
of it.

Nope.  I then explained to my agent that the previous owner was
insured by Farmers also.  He passed this info along, but now he
tells me they want to see the title and registration.  Ostensibly,
they need the vehicle i.d. to make sure your car is what you say
it is.

I don't mind giving them a copy of the title and registration if
this is what it takes to satisfy them.  Can they cause any other
problems, like calling the Department of Motor Vehicles and claiming
there is something wrong with the i.d.?

I know the i.d. is correct.  Once I did call the DMV to see if I
needed proof of 'federalization' of the car, but they told me that
if it was titled and registered here in Oregon, that constitutes
proof that the car was accepted.  Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance, please reply by e-mail.

-Dave (dmunroe@gollum.wr.tek.com)