Re: RE: Inverted valve seats Was: British Masters Racing

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: RE: Inverted valve seats Was: British Masters Racing
From: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 10:37:00 PST
>said:

TW> However, if I can get every thing lined up, here is the way the
TW> seats are used in both the intakes and exhaust of my TR head.

 .... nice picture deleted to save space ....

TW> The valve posket is widened out to about the diameter of the original valve
TW> seats & a stellite valve seat is installed upside down with the bevel
TW> side facing in.  A new bevel seat is cut into the cylinder facing side to
TW> seat the valve.  The end result is the creation of a venturi to speed up
TW> air flow.

This is an interesting concept, and I am curious as to why it would work. It
seems to me that what we want to do to increase hp is 2-fold:

1) get as much air/fuel into the cyl as possible
2) get a nice air flow going in and out (I think they might call this "pumping"
   but I may have mixed up my terminology)

The carburator itself creates a venturi affect which helps to get the gases
moving. I think a good manifold can be designed to help this a bit more.

As far as I can see the inverted valve seat will do one of 2 things:

1) act as a 2nd venturi and increase the velocity of the gasses into the cyl
   or
2) partially block the flow of gases into the cyl

I don't know the physics behind multiple venturis and air flow, but I wonder
if a second venturi would increase velocity over the first one, or would it
first slow the gases down and then speed them up again?

But, aside from a this, will a speed increase at the valve actually get more
gases flowing (I know my last batch of beer does!) into the cylinder? I
suspect not unless it induces a velocity change at entrance to the carbie.

Interesting anyway ... I think I'm gonna ponder this while I put the lights
onto our xmas tree, and drink my gaseous beer ...

Rob

Robert J. Neilson                Voice:    (604) 293-5414
MPR Teltech Ltd.                 FAX:      (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way,                 Internet: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca
Burnaby, BC, Canada, V5A 4B5               uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!neilson