Re: engine assembly lubes.

To: british-cars@hoosier, paisley@cme.nist.gov
Subject: Re: engine assembly lubes.
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 10:50:13 -0800
I have always been partial to a molibdum(sp?) based grease for every surface
where metal moves against metal.  The stuff is slippery, lubercates for a
while without oil & stays where you put it until high pressure oil moves it
or "melts" it.  I generally take several days to assemble an engine &
live where airborne dust is pleantiful. I prefer somrthing that will stay
where I put it and not spread out becoming a sticky surface to collect dirt.
I even place a dab of grease at both ends of the tappets.

As I asswble parts onto an engine I hand turn moving parts at each stage to
be assured that everything is moving freely without ANY binding.  If I get
any binding, I disassemble the assembly bit by bit until I identify the
reason, correct it & start reassembling.  The last part that goes onto one
of my engines is the secondary wire between the coil & the distributer. This
assures that the engine dosn't get fired up until its ready (I have
a mental checklist to go through that adding the wire is the last part of
and the trigger for.  The checklist includes checking for oil, water, the
fuel line and linkage.  If all this is OK, I add the wire.  One of those
strange home drewed traditions.).

Second to the last thing I oil & valve cover.  I pour the oil in while the
valve
cover is off. I pour it over the rocker arms, valve springs, & down each of
the pushrod holes. Then the valve cover goes on.  Next, I use the starter
motor to turn the engine until I read engine pressure. After that I quickly
go through my distributer/coil wire cerimony.

When the engine starts, I spend the first couple of minutes checking for
fluid leaks.

TeriAnn