engine assembly lubes.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: engine assembly lubes.
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 12:14:32 EST
Dennis Wilson writes:

 > What is the best think to use when assembling a new engine.  I used Kent cam
 > lube, but what is the best stuff to coat bearings rings etc.???

Someone already mentioned STP oil treatment, which is what I used for
bearings.  I'm told that this is the same stuff as Motor Honey, which
is an assembly lube.  For the cam, I used a special cam lube which
should be used on the cam followers and the cam lobes (like you
mentioned above).  That stuff is supposed to help with new cam
breakin, but can anyone give details on that, or is it fokelore?  For
rings pistons and the cylander walls, use Castrol straight 30W.  I
have read in several places that you should only use regular motor oil
on pistons, rings, and related surfaces.  I made sure my rings were
well coated when I installed the pistons.  I'm not sure why other
lubes are not ok, but it seems like a good idea to me, just for the
reason that oil is going to be the lube up there anyway.

---
This is a *weird* place - which is probably why I fit in.

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley