British Cars, Miatas

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: British Cars, Miatas
From: stern@neocad.com (Carl Stern)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 91 19:08:35 MST

Here are the British cars that I know of available in the U.S. as legal
(EPA and all that) cars.  I listed what I believe to be approximate
starting prices.
(Anyone with accurate data please post it)

Aston Martin $100,000
Bentley      $100,000
Jaguar:
 XJ 6   $35,000
 XJ S  $35,000?, $40,000 for the convertible
Lotus:
 Esprit $79,000
 Elan   $39,000
Morgan - propane version only $?
Range Rover: $40,000
Rolls Royce $100,000
Sterling $28,000 - but I heard they will not be sold in the US any more
TVR - I hope so, but what models?  Speaking of engine swaps, these cars have
had everything in them, since TVR does not make drivetrains.

Pantera?  Is this British or Italian?
Caterham and other kit cars

So you see the guy (Salil?), who bought the Elan really did buy the
"entry level" LBC available today, if not one of the only ones.  I recently
read that a rule of thumb for car purchases is to spend no more than one third
of your annual income.  So British cars are catering to the 100k a year and
up crowd.  There is nothing even close to resembling a new MGB or a Miata
in this list, pricewise.

As for comparing the MGB to a Miata, Road&Track happens to be be listing
the BMH MGB in their road test summary.  It has the distinction of having its
0-60 time of 12.8 and its 1/4 mile time of 19.0 being in boldface, meaning
its the slowest time on the page.  Even slower than the Range Rover.
This compares to the Miata's 9.5.  Three seconds in a 0-60 time is enormous.
It would take quite a well tweaked B to keep pace with a stock Miata.