character...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: character...
From: jjoy@Stardent.COM (Jennifer L. Joy)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 91 18:18:15 EST
I've been thinking about this a bit.  I think my 122s has character (oh,
a volvo, sorry to stray from the subject at hand) perhaps more than the
xke next to it.  horrors?  you take something that has been in the family
all of its life, been to nearly every part of the continental US, gone down
and up things it shouldn't have, but has been loved, polished, and taken
care of.  It's part history.  It's age that gives character.  The xke
is a newer car, been in the family a much shorter time.  so character
may be a bit relative.  Both cars when you look at them, it tugs the
heart... they are out of time, when many of their brethren have gone to
junkyards, something has kept them around, be it love or stubborness.

The miata on the other hand, is cute, I'll say.  I see the echoes of
LBCs in its body work.  The oval thingy at the mouth is a clincher.
But character?  nope.  appeal? yes.  character maybe when it has
weathered a few years.  to it's owner, that may come more quickly
than for the masses.

jennifer

who is still trying to decide whether or not by my argument a chevy
citation could have character.  hmm, there must be a plastic quota
somewhere in the equations. :-)  maybe too much of a mass-produced
nature disqualifies you.  heh.  but then again, the model T, etc.