MG & MOWOG

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MG & MOWOG
From: gerry@speedy.att.com
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 91 17:14 EST
>    I was doing a crossword puzzle from an old Moss newsletter over the
> weekend and came across an answer I didn't know.  It was "What does
> M.G. stand for ?".  I couldn't find it in anything I had, and I've been
> wondering for a few days now.  So, what does it stand for ?

As far as I remember, MG stood for Morris Garage, and MOWOG stood
(stands(?)) for MOrris and WOlseley Garage

I can not resist any more, I have kept out of the Miata bashing for
a while but I have to have my say.

During September, when I was in Europe I "borrowed" a Miata for a couple
of days and overall I was impressed with the machine. It has
the right "feel", the steering is responsive, you feel the road through
the seat and the streering wheel.

The fit and finish was superbe, the texture of the materials was first class,
controls were well placed, and the top was a dream to use. Being able
to pull the top up and push it back down without having to remove one's
safety belt is a definate god-send. The gearbox is a delight, certainly
one of the better g'box's that I have seen.

There are however a few negative  points :

- The trunk is TINY - even smaller than on a Midget
- It does not feel powerfull - certainly not 116 bhp.
- With a well rounded fron-end, it is difficult to place in tight corners.

Overall, it is a very well thought out car, with exelent engineering.
When it first came out my first thought was "This is something British
Leyland should have made". I think it is a natural progression of the MG,
Triumph of 1990's, with all its "good" characteristics.

Would I buy one ? I doubt it, they are far too many on the road.
I prefer to drive something "different". Howver for the MG/Triumph
consumer of the 60's and 70's, this is the one to buy.

Deep down inside, I think we are all jealous, that Mazda did such
a good job, but we won't admit it. I used to be a Miata basher, until
I looked around in the market place and saw that there really is no
alternative (at least in the US). In England, you could buy the Scimitar SS1,
the TVR, Ginetta, Caterham 7, and a bunch which I have forgotten.

Gerry