Re: Pulsing Electrical System

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Pulsing Electrical System
From: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 91 09:24:37 PST
Last week I posted a message looking for help with my "pulsing headlights etc"
on my non-LBC (which is a 1965 Barracuda - for those who wondered).

I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions. On the weekend I bought a new
battery (one of those cheap at Costco 850 cranking amp jobs with the handle
and the built in hydrometer). I also replaced the regulator. This fixed the
pulsing electrical problems, as well as a myriad of other problems I was
having with the car, including:

 - uneven idle ... the car would idle fast-slow-fast-slow ...
 - impossible to start (even though the old battery could turn the car over
   at a reasonable speed, I had to cable up to a running car and crank for
   10 mins to get the car running)
 - once started the car would run 5 mins then start coughing and acting
   like it wasn't getting enough fuel ... and then die. After dieing I
   could immediately start up the car and it would run perfect for the
   rest of the day

I find these problems interesting because I never would have thought
they would be related to a voltage regulator and/or battery. But the car
now starts 1st try, the lights don't pulse, it idles evenly, and it doesn't
die until I tell it to!

That's all for my non-british car talk. Next posting will be MGA related -
I promise ...

Rob

Robert J. Neilson                Voice:    (604) 293-5414
MPR Teltech Ltd.                 FAX:      (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way,                 Internet: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca
Burnaby, BC, Canada, V5A 4B5               uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!neilson