Re: Japanese cars, Brit cars, Miata bashing.

To: hoosier!british-cars@cs, coventry!rmb@ames.arc.nasa.gov,
Subject: Re: Japanese cars, Brit cars, Miata bashing.
From: ssi!coventry!rmb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Bob Bownes)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 91 13:48:29 CST
->Am I getting old or what?  I'm seriously thinking of selling Sybil,
->because I am not having any time to look after her, or drive her.
->Pulling the cover off just to go down to the hardware store on a
->weekend hardly seems worth the trouble anymore.
->
->Now what do I do?

Persevere, that's what you should do.

I've had 'Lizbeth (The lady Elizabeth Stewart, Dutchess of Coventry) for
over 6 years now (October 11th, 1985), and in those 6 years, I've thought of
selling her occasionally, usually about this time of year. (and I live where
it's *cold*) I made a tragic mistake lo those 6 years ago, I bought a car that
was going to need constant care and attention the same month I decided to go
Back To College. The fight was long and hard. The offers made on her would have
paid a lot of bills. (like the ones from TRF!)

But then, on a nice brisk winter day, a fair summer evening, a zippy
but colourful autumn afternoon, or in the first warm sunny day of spring
we go out for a drive, just 'Lizbeth and I.  And it seems like it is a day
that should last forever. Wind in the hair, sun beating down, seemingly
one with the car and the road. And those are the times I know, deep in my
heart, that I couldn't sell her.

She's a real part of my family. It's just the two of us most of the time, but
friends always ask about her. The cost of those days is high, but one I think
I'll be willing to pay for a long time to come. I go out and do just what the
Miata ads tell me to do. I go out and fall in love all over again.

Besides, my godfather who has had his MG since 1938 sticks up for me.

It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. I put about $700/year (average) into
her, probably 150 hours, and she's always ready to spend that great day out
playing on the roads of America, giving it back a hundredfold.

Hang on to Sybil, even if she is a bit fawlty, who isn't?

iii

;-}
        < CAUTION! Contains opinions. The Surgon General has determined
          that the opinions of others may be hazardous to the narrow minded. >
;-)

Speaking of Miata's, I don't feel that bashing them is appropriate. Few
bought LBC's with the intention of devoting one's life to their care and
feeding. As someone pointed out, they were mostly bought by consumers. I think
the folks you find owning Miatas in 10-15 years would fit right in with the
folks on this list, and LBC owners in general. They will be enthusiasts and
people with heart.

The origin of the design and manufacture of a car has nothing to do with it's
soul. The flavour perhaps, (I really liked the comment about Italian
automotive electrical engineers being taught the periodic table with only four
elements, fire, water, earth, and wind, for example) as each person adds his
own spin to something he has worked on, but to condemn something based on
it's country of manufacture....Ya'll are above that.