HIGH OIL PRESSURE

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: HIGH OIL PRESSURE
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 16 Dec 91 10:06:44
        Reply to:   HIGH OIL PRESSURE
Dennis' post about his high oil pressure reminds me of an experience I once
had..

   The year, 1977.  The car: a '68 Ford LTD ( really just a Galaxy with nicer
seats ).   Guerrero Street in San Francisco.  I slide into the driver's seat,
start'er up.  Hear this little "pss-pss-pss" noise.  I get out, there's a pool
of oil under the car.  And the oil filter is blown up, just like a balloon.

   Down to the store for another oil filter.  Screwed it in.  Started the
engine again... "Pss-pss-pss".  Rats.  Folks, we we're talking HIGH OIL
PRESSURE here.  Careful perusal of the Ford shop manual reveals a bypass valve
in the oil pump to relieve excess oil pressure, and, in fact, REGULATE the
pressure.  Said valve was part of the oil pump, buried under the oil pan.

     So I bought a new pump, lugged my big toolbox out there to Guerrero
street, and fixed the car out there on the street.  There was a crossmember, so
I had to lift the engine up a bit to get the oil pan out.  Ten hours ( 12
hours? ) later, I had a running car.

     - Jerry

p.s.  I think I'm getting soft in my old age.  If that happened to me now, I
would probably just call a tow truck.  Or would I?  :-)