re: insuring an LBC project

To: victor@rolf.stat.uga.edu
Subject: re: insuring an LBC project
From: whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 13 Dec 1991 9:36 EST
Victor wrote and asked:
>  i've just spent several frustrating hours dealing with my insurance droid.
>the company offers a "classic car" policy and quoted me an annual fee of
>$52 for full coverage on my 64 MGB.
>BUT, when i submitted the requested pictures, they turned me down because
>the B is a work-in-progress instead of a completed project. i am doing the
>greasy mechanical work first and saving the body-work and paint for later.
>Ironically, all they care about is cosmetics! Apparently they don't care
>about the condition of the mechanics (or even if it HAS a drive-train!),
>but the body has to LOOK GOOD before they will write a policy.
>Anyway, how do you folks insure your current project car?
>any pointers to insurance agencies with more reasonable policies?

Speaking for myself (but I think most folks are the same) I do
not insure those vehicles that are in a project mode (or if they
are just off the road for an extended period).  I guess
there's always the worst case of a total loss (eg. garage fire,
etc.), but I'm willing to risk that.  Now all my cars are
Triumphs, so the maximum value of a project car is probably
only a few thousand bucks at best, but if I had an exotic such
as an Aston Martin, Cobra, etc. then maybe I'd get the
insurance in case of such a loss.
Bill Sohl   (K2UNK)            ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com