Re: Performance parts for MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Performance parts for MGB
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 08:53:24 CST
I don't have all the numbers, but if its the Miata you're worried
about, let's compare them:

               MGB (guess)             Miata
Gas Mileage     18                       30
HP              65                      116
Weight        2100?                    2200
Liters         1.6?                     1.6
Rear End       3.9?                     3.7?

I'm sure someone will correct the numbers, but pure drag racing
is easy, just compare the weights, HP, rear end ratio's, and
transmission ratio's and its obvious why you didn't stand a
chance.  Of course tires/suspension make a difference at higher
power, but it seems to me that unless some of my numbers are
way off, you can't beat the Miata with a reasonable amount of
$$.

I had an argument with several other British car owners over this
issue... even tried to talk them into going to test drive one...
Hard to believe they would argue with me as I owned one for 6 months,
and I'm sorry the British (or U.S. for that matter) didn't build it,
but this is a free market...  Hard to beat 1.2HP/cubic inch...

I suggest you test drive one of these cars to see what you're up against.

My guess is a new Miata would beat all the Triumph's (most are not "new")
in the local area except the TR8's.

Roger

Assume I will be removed for the list due to admiting to owning a jap car
:)  :)