Re: Running-on or diseling.

To: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@oregon.uoregon.edu>, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Running-on or diseling.
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1991 09:43:00 -0500
Dennis Wilson scribed:
 Subject: Running-on or diseling.

> What causes running on after you remove the ignition key??  I thought it is
>either (1) falty ignition switch, (2) high compression.

# 2 is closer to the mark. Run on will be more prevalant in a high compression
engine, due to it's deisel nature. An anti-run on valve opens an air valve to
the carbureters when you turn the car off, which serves to let in lots more
air when you shut down, leaning the mixture a lot, to which kills the burn.
But, that's not the whole story, as you also need *heat* for this
extra ignition. This often appears in the form of carbon deposits, which
both increase the compression ratio, and tend to create glowing hot spots
which can ignite the fuel. Pulling the head and de-coking the pistons and
combustion chambers can often eliminate run-on.
        In the mean time, when shutting the car down, step on the brake,
and put it in gear, easing off the clutch as you turn off the key, thereby
using the clutch to brake the engine, and kill the run-on.

Garry Archer scribed:
 Subject: Re:  New gifs on hoosier.utah.edu
> Ah now I've "seen" our very own Mr. Roger Garnett!  The photo's a bit dark

This was too much, now I even have GIF viewing capability. I think Will
scanned that picture dark to  protect sensitive computer equipment....
I may have to find someplace around here to make colour GIF's now too-
Besides lots of car pictures, I have some some interesting SOL evidence
from the Triumph convention...

> Great job everyone!  Thanks for all your beautiful cars!

Second that! Now when are all of our computers going to be capable of
sending/receiving/displaying these graphics inside of our e-mail, along
with some aural stimulation? I can already hear the sounds of wrenching,
riding, and racing (The 3 R's :-) ) emanating from my computer...
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett             (sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | South Lansing Centre For
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | Wayward Sports Cars
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!