Re: leaky clutch cylinder

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: leaky clutch cylinder
From: zahid@serval.sps.mot.com (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 91 10:18:05 CST
>       1.  How does that high-quality Girling master cylinder
>           know it's in a Spitfire?

There is an advanced microprocessor engine signature comparing unit
built in to the system :-)

>       2.  Why doesn't the Honda leak brake fluid onto the driver's
>           side floor, too?  For that matter, why does only the
>           clutch cylinder leak, and not the brake cylinder, too?

The clutch cylinder is made of some cheapo metal that starts wearing
out almost immediately it comes in contact with girling brake fluid.
I have seen this twice in my new clutch masters. Just open the master
cylinder cap the next day after installation and check the fluid, you
will see fine metal particles floating around making the fluid black.
The brake cylinder doesn't suffer the same way since it is more important
safety wise than the clutch. The cylinder in the brake master is made
from iron or something different than the clutch. Look at the clutch
masters in American V8's they are solid iron blocks. I think the
clutch hydrolics could be fixed real well if it could somehow be sleeved
with a steel lining.

>       3.  Will using DOT 5 silicone fluid in the clutch help
>           the problem?

I've never tried it but if you do you must put in girling at first at
first since the seals expand by taking in regular brake fluid. Keep it
in there for a week.

>                                       Tim Drabik

Zahid