Starter

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Starter
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1991 17:49 PST
The geometry of the starter with the flywheel might be off.  Are there gasgets
or shims between the starter and engine?  If so the geometry could be off
if these have worn.  So slight changes might cause the starter ring to crash
or not fully be engaged.

First part of the fly teeth being worn is normal, but how much wear you car
can tolerate I do not know.

I had a Fiat Spyder which had similar problems and a pre-engaged starter.
The cog on the starter which moves out and engages with the fly wheel should
be fixed rigidly to the shaft on which it is mounted and which turns it so when
the shaft turns the cog will too.  The problem with my Fiat was that this cog
would not always stay fixed to the shaft, ie, the cog would sometimes (I supose
because of wear) rotate independantly of the shaft, sometimes with just my
fingers and sometimes only with worse and a screw driver, but sometimes not at
all.  I got a new starter....end of problem.

So the cog should not rotate independantly of the shaft or all you will get is
shaft rotation but no cog rotation and no engine rotation (I'm dizzy with all
this rotation talk).

Good Luck
Cheers DW