Re: Starter

To: DWILSON@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dennis Wilson)
Subject: Re: Starter
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 91 11:09:24 PST

| The geometry of the starter with the flywheel might be off.  Are there gasgets
| or shims between the starter and engine?  If so the geometry could be off
| if these have worn.

There are two things that affect the engagement of a tr6 starter gear with
the flywheel:

1 the shims (if any) between the starter mounting and the rear engine plate.

2 the amount of travel of the solonoid that moves the gear into engagement
before it bottoms. (I think the solonoid plunger may be internally ajustable
but I don't remember for sure.)

There is another solution however:
get a nice new Spitfire starter and the spacer used to mount it to a GT6
and maybe some shims. (I don't remember if the Spit uses that spacet too)
This starter uses an inertial Bendex to move the gear rather
than a solonoid. The old starter gear tward the back of the car to engage.
The Spitfire starter gear moves forward to engage. It engages the flywheel
gear from the other side (the side of the flywheel where the teeth are not yet
damaged. Though the Spit starter is smaller, I know from experiance it
 will start a TR6. It may save you from pulling the transmission
to change the flywheel gear. (Though if your tr6 has not been converted to
a tr3/4 clutch slave cylinder and clevis, you will probably be pulling the
trans to change the throw-out bearing............ but that's another story)
g'luck/dickn

P.S. was there something about Northern California SOLS getting together
again to drink beer??