RE: Starter problem

To: British-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE: Starter problem
From: Alan Frisbie <frisbie@flying-disk.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91 17:32:47 PST
> Ever since I have owned my '70 TR6 (over 6 years) it has made a
> horrible grinding noise about 1 out of 20 times I turn the key to
> start the car (normally when I have a passenger I would like to
> impress).  It doesn't turn the engine at all, just grinds.  Releasing
> the key and turning it again never failed to start the car (without
> grinding), so I decided to leave it alone.  Well, this time the second
> turn of the key not only failed to start the car, but the starter
> froze up.

I had the same problem a few years ago with my Honda Civic wagon (I know
it's not British, but I need a car to haul parts for the TR-4 in).   :-)
I removed it, cleaned it thoroughly, and replaced it.   That solved the
problem for about two or three years.   Now it has returned.

---  Alan E. Frisbie                    Frisbie@Flying-Disk.Com  (Preferred)
---  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.      or  ...elroy!flying!frisbie
---  4759 Round Top Drive           or  Flying!Frisbie@Elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
---  Los Angeles, CA 90065          or  Frisbie%Flying@oxy.edu
---  (213) 256-2575                 or  ...oxy!flying!frisbie