SON OF GARAGE ALERT!

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: SON OF GARAGE ALERT!
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 2 Dec 91 10:31:17
   SON OF GARAGE ALERT!
  Well, I'd like to thank everybody for the flood of garage information that
has come in.  Pat's laminated plywood beam sounds like a winner, especially
since I have recently acquired a table saw and a one of those battery-operated
driver-drills.  However, I still have some concerns...

   1)  The existing joists are 16 feet long.  Plywood is only 8 feet long.  It
seems to me, that if I butt two pieces together, a concentration of stresses
will occur at their joint that could snap the joist!   Maybe if I use three
pieces on each side?

   2)  I assume that the screws are only there to hold everything together
while the glue dries.  Therefore, sheetrock screws should work just fine.

   3)  Pat, are you SURE that a mere one inch total thickness of reinforcement
is adequate to straighten a three-and-a-half-inch thick  sagging joist?  ( one
thing I hate about house stuff, is that nothing is what it is called:  for
example, 2x4's are not two inches thick, nor are they four inches wide!  I
won't even MENTION plumbing:-( )

   4)  I believe I'll use that beige-colored carpenters' glue.  As pointed out,
it is not waterproof, but my garage is not a damp place, as long as the roof
doesn't leak!

                      - Jerry