Re: GARAGE ALERT! GARAGE ALERT

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: GARAGE ALERT! GARAGE ALERT
From: berry@hawking.wpd.sgi.com (Berry Kercheval)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91 09:39:05 -0800
rodb@ee.ubc.ca writes:
 > I would go with plywood, glue and a fair
 > number of WOOD screws.  Gyproc screws are pretty thin and tend to rust out
 > in a fairly short time in humid/wet environments.  They also snap easily.

I would recommend sheet metal screws; they have more thread and
stronger shanks.  Also I am guessing that the appearance of the heads
does not matter.

Actually, I suspect the screw are largely irrelevant to the ultimate
strength of "our" DIY laminated beam.  The main purpose of the screws
is to apply clamping pressure while the glue cures.  A properly made
glue joint is typically stronger than the wood it's attached to.  (Dried
hide glue, for instance, will actually NOTCH a chisel blade...)

  --berry