Re: Re: GARAGE ALERT! GARAGE ALERT!

To: apple.com!well!phabib
Subject: Re: Re: GARAGE ALERT! GARAGE ALERT!
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 91 09:22:12 pst
> From apple.com!well!phabib Thu Nov 28 12:34 PST 1991
> The 2*8 along the existing joists, with nail (not bolts, they weaken the
> wood and make things worse) and some construction adhesive are best.  The
> other thing that you might think about is to fit some 4*4 posts inside your
> existing walls on 4 foot centers, and have them support nest 4*8 or so
> joists.

Another good reason for this approach is to keep the structure exposed.
Termites are a major problem here in the Santa Clara Valley.  There are
two types that eventually seem to get into just about everyone's house
or garage at some point; the subterranean variety familiar to most of us
and a flying variety that I suspect is left over from the days when the
Valley was mostly orchards.  They swam every Spring and just loved
nesting in roof rafters for the season.

> My second suggestion is so close to rebuilding that you would be betteroff
> re-roofing.  I'm now having an entire flat top house done for about $3000 so
> you ought to be able to get a garage done cheap.  In that case, strip the
> roof, fix the structural problems, put on new decking to replace the rotted
> stuff and have the thing hot tarred.  If you do that, save some tar for Joe

If you're considering re-roofing, it might be worth the effort of adding
a little slope to the roof for better drainage.

Roland