Re: SON OF GARAGE ALERT!

To: Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com
Subject: Re: SON OF GARAGE ALERT!
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 91 09:26:50 PST
>From Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>:

>    1)  The existing joists are 16 feet long.  Plywood is only 8 feet long.
> It seems to me, that if I butt two pieces together, a concentration of
> stresses will occur at their joint that could snap the joist!   Maybe if I
> use three pieces on each side?

If you stagger the joints on each side, you'll have nothing to worry about.
(Start with a 4' piece on one side, and an 8' piece on the other.)

>    3)  Pat, are you SURE that a mere one inch total thickness of
> reinforcement is adequate to straighten a three-and-a-half-inch thick
> sagging joist?

Yes, I'm sure.  You'll be amazed.  You could use 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, if it
would make you feel better.  Not much additional cost or work.

> (one thing I hate about house stuff, is that nothing is what it is called:
> for example, 2x4's are not two inches thick, nor are they four inches wide!
> I won't even MENTION plumbing:-( )

Kinda like Whitworth wrench sizes, wot?

> p.s.  Good luck on obtaining your new, bigger garage! ( & house :-)

They accepted our offer!  Now, once I get through with inspections and
mortgage brokers, I've *got* to get the TR4 back together so I can drive it
to the new house after Christmas!

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA