BRG Origins

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: BRG Origins
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 17:04:07 EST
With all of this talk about the BRG Miata, I did some checking and found
something I thought the b-c group my find interesting.  This is from the
February 2, 1991 Toronto Star article entitled "British can thank Irish
for their 'racing green.'  Reprinted without permission.

"Auto racing is as old as the automobile itself, but it was strenuously
opposed by authorities who considered it too dangerous for public roads.

In 1903, the first Gordon Bennett Cup race (Bennett was the legendary founder
of the New York Tribune) was slated to take place in England.
But the opposition from government was so great that the race had
 to be staged in Ireland.

As a compliment to the hospitality of the Irish, and to spite the English
critics, the British  cars  were painted green!

Thereafter,  British racing green  became the official U.K. color in
international competition. (The race was won by Camille Jenatzy driving a Sixty
Mercedes.)"

Just thought you might be interested.

Bob
bobj@meaddata.com