Re: Re: Caster

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Re: Caster
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 09:15:14 +1100
>John Taylor [The Banshee] writes:
>> >straight.  This is usually undesirable!  My TR2 has ZERO CASTER, which means
>> >that the only thing making the car want to go straight, is the silentblock
>> >bushings in the steering gear ( GAAK ).

I wish I did have one ;-) (Alas, I was only quoting someone else)

>notice what's happening to the outside wheels now), and with most
>suspensions (e.g. Mac Pherson struts) this effect is made even worse
>because body roll affects the suspension geometry to make the outside
>camber even worse (that's why race cars tend to be very stiff --
>you want to minimize body roll to minimize the decambering effect).

The Moke's rubber cone suspension has no problems there!

>Only one problem here: when you're going straight, e.g. when you're
>braking in a straight line, you have no lateral force on the car,
>and since you've set up the car for so much static negative camber,
>only the insides edges of the tires are touching the ground, so you
>get poor braking performance.  (This also applies to acceleration, if
>you have a car with enough power that traction is a problem on
>acceleration.  I wouldn't know about that. :-) )

I guess the same problem occurs with positive camber, but instead the inside
edges wear.

>So setting up any race car is a trade-off and you have to decide what
>factors are most important to you.  My personal choice is to use radials
>(I don't like the way Hoosiers lurch), as much camber as I can get
>(currently about 3.5 degrees until I get the time to fabricate camber
>plates), super-stiff springs (I don't mind that the car gets airborn
>over bumps -- in fact, I find it fun :-) ) and no swaybars (I had major
>wheelspin problems with a rear swaybar, and none at all without it.
>Besides, swaybars add weight).  I leave the caster alone (never even
>measured it) and use front toe to adjust turn-in characteristics
>(and rear toe to adjust oversteer/understeer balance).

I personally prefer steel-belted radials too.  Mokes and (non-hydroelastic)
Minis have never been reknowned for soft rides - the rubber-cone system saw to
that!  Soft, comfy seats come in handy here.  As for sway-bars, I doubt you
could fit them to a Moke/Mini - even if it were necessary.  The deep sump
combined with "armor-plated" sump guard leave little room to put anything.

Once you've driven a Moke (or Mini) it's amazing how horrible other "softer"
cars feel - they really sag around corners.

"Have you driven a MOKE, lately?"  (Geez that Ford (Aus.) add is annoying)

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |