More MGB questions

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: More MGB questions
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 11:30:54 EST
Hi again!

Thanks for the checklist, Roger.  And thanks to all who sent advice on my
last round of questions.  I've got more :-)

First, I got the spark plugs out!  They look pretty good, although there is
a little carbon coating on them.  This means the carb is a little rich, right?
How do you make a Weber run more lean?  Different sized jets?  The car seams
to be running fine though, so I may not worry about that for now.

The left turn signal doesn't work, but the right one does.  This leads me to
believe that the blinker thingy is working, but either a bulb is out, the
switch on the stalk is bad, or there is a broken wire.  Oh, the hazards only
work on the right also, so the signal switch is probably not the problem.
Are these assumpions on the right track?  BTW, I was reading about how the
blinker works, relying on heat to change the length of the wire that completes
the circuit, seems like abient temperature would affect this greatly.

There is a clicking coming from the back right hand corner of the car.  It
comes on as soon as the car is turned on, before it is started, and only stops
when the car is turned off.  Is this the fuel pump making noise?  If it is,
is it serious?  Finally, how hard is it to change it? (I have a spare car)

My last question concerns the speedometer.  It reads high, by at least 15-20%
although I haven't figured out exactly how much high it is.  I mentioned
that I thought it was high to the guy I bought it from and he said it was
because it had bigger than stock tires.  This doesn't seem right, it should
read slower, shouldn't it?  What can be done to correct a speedometer?  Is
replacement in order?  Could it be the cable?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Jones
bobj@meaddata.com

P.S. The question above refer to a '74 MGB.