Re: More MGB questions

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: More MGB questions
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 08:39:51 +1100
>The left turn signal doesn't work, but the right one does.  This leads me to
>believe that the blinker thingy is working, but either a bulb is out, the
>switch on the stalk is bad, or there is a broken wire.  Oh, the hazards only
>work on the right also, so the signal switch is probably not the problem.
>Are these assumpions on the right track?  BTW, I was reading about how the
>blinker works, relying on heat to change the length of the wire that completes
>the circuit, seems like abient temperature would affect this greatly.
>
>Actually, the voltage affects it more, I find.  Yes, you are on the
>right track.  Check all the bulbs.  You are exhibiting a fine sense of
>diagnosis (If this were the cause then this wouldn't work either, but
>it does... &c)

The Moke had a similar problem.  Whenever one of the indicator globes blew,
the indicator on that side would not work at all, simply because of the
different current (or voltage, perhaps) due to a different resistive load.
The problem was caused by the flasher unit, which was a bimetalic strip type. I
replaced this with an electronic type which is basically a relay and a capacitor
(condensor if you prefer), which is supposed to be "immune" to this problem.
Another indicator problem with the old unit was different flash rates for the
two sides (ie. left slower than right) - most likely due to the same resistance
effect.  It may be worthwhile replacing your old flasher unit with an electronic
type, unless you a concerned with originality...

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |