esprit water pump

To: british-cars@encore.com (british-cars)
Subject: esprit water pump
From: Kazuo Yoshizaki <yoshi@hpujsda.yhp.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 10:22:11 JST
My '85 Lotus esprit recently had its water pump broken down, and I heard from
a Mini fanatic that all British cars have weak bearings and the water pump have
to be renewed every 15,000 miles or so. He also suggested that I should change
the current V-belt to a cogged belt so that it may not give tension to the
water pump bearings, which will extend the life of the bearings. (He had done
this modification to his Innocenti Mini Couper and it worked.)
What I want to know is if any esprit owners have done this same modification,
and if there is, I'd like to get some tips. (details of the necessary parts and
availability in the market, etc.)

Looking at the service parts list, I found esprit Turbo H.C. '87 onward is using
a cogged belt system here and I feel the same pulley can be used, but I have to
get a belt of different length. ('87 model has also a vacuum pump and has a
longer belt.)

Thanks and best regards,

K. Yoshizaki (yoshi@hpujisa.yhp.hp.com)