Re: esprit water pump

To: yoshi@hpujsda.yhp.hp.com (Kazuo Yoshizaki)
Subject: Re: esprit water pump
From: Mike Johnson <mikej@hpupora.nsr.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 16:19:13 PST

> My '85 Lotus esprit recently had its water pump broken down, and I heard from
> a Mini fanatic that all British cars have weak bearings and the water pump
>have
> to be renewed every 15,000 miles or so. He also suggested that I should
>change
> the current V-belt to a cogged belt so that it may not give tension to the
> water pump bearings, which will extend the life of the bearings. (He had done
> What I want to know is if any esprit owners have done this same modification,
> and if there is, I'd like to get some tips. (details of the necessary parts
>and
> availability in the market, etc.)
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> K. Yoshizaki (yoshi@hpujisa.yhp.hp.com)

Stuff removed for bandwidth ...

I have a Europa Twin Cam.  Very similar setup to your Esprit.  I changed my
water pump pulley (both of them pullies?) (good grief I am writing to
someone in Japan who writes better english than I do!)  Anyway I have been
very happy with the toothed belt system.  The gearing seems to be
different.  As close as I can make out the pump is turning slower.  As a
result the engine seems to be running cooler.  This is good news to me.
However I have not used the car in hot weather since making the change.

I think you can get a kit from Dave Bean Engineering.  I am at work and
only have their old address.  I am sure someone on the list will have the
new one.  Kit will include the belt of correct length and pulleys (just
looked it up).

As I understand things, driving an exotic car in Japan is very expensive.
My hat is off to you.  I also understand that driving on the country roads
can be very rewarding (scenery as well as fun roads).

--
 Mike Johnson
 Systems Engineer             INTERNET        mikej@hpupora.nsr.hp.com