Re: Re: etc.: Steering

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Re: etc.: Steering
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 09:05:58 +1100
>DONT USE THE EVIL PICKLE-FORK!!!  There is another way!  A ten-dollar tool
>sold by your friendly neighborhood J.C. Whitney can remove that ball joint
>without damaging it WHATSOEVER.  This "tie-rod-end puller" looks like a cast
>steel C-Clamp.  One end of it is flattened, and slides between the steering arm
>and the tie-rod-end.  The body of the tool curves around
>the other side of the steering arm, and a big screw pushes on the protruding
>pin of the tie-rod-end.  I have yet to have a tie-rod-end give even the
>slightest resistance to this tool!  Not only does it not damage the
>tie-rod-end, it doesn't even  damage the rubber boot!  I thought everybody knew
>about this tool!

I've heard of similar tools for pulling gears, etc. (I think we've got a hand-
made gear puller of some sort in the shed.), but didn't know about, or see, any
such device in the shop when I bought the "pickle fork".  As the rubber boots
were stuffed anyway (one of them is a totally different size!) it didn't really
matter about the damage.  BTW, what problems could having damaged boots cause?
I can only think of wearing by dust, and possibly corrosion.
I've still got the old tie-rod ends on, as I can't find any Moke ones (yet) -
only Mini ends.  Could these be used (I think there might be slight differences
between the two, otherwise my supplier, who raced/races Minis, wouldn't have
mentioned the fact).

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |