Re: Snapped Crankshafts...

To: johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Snapped Crankshafts...
From: mjb@hoosier (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 11:30:51 -0700
Yes, there is a problem with the cranks on the big TR 4 cylinders.  There is
a company called Racestorations which makes a special set of pulleys for
the motor.  The one on the crank is basically a harmonic damper which does
get rid of some of the damage-causing frequencies.  The water pump and the
dynamo pulleys also have to be changed to fit a narrower fan belt, I believe.
The same kit is available in the States from British Frame and Engine, which
imports the full range of Racestoration competition parts.  I think the main
two frequencies are right around 3700 rpm and 5600 or some such, I can't
remember exactly.  And yes, this motor is not exactly a high revving screamer,
but it can crank out some low rev torque!

mjb.

British Frame and Engine
4831 Ryland Avenue
Temple City, CA 91780