RE>Snapped Crankshafts...

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Snapped Crankshafts...
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 5 Feb 91 10:26:00
        Reply to:   RE>Snapped Crankshafts...

A TR4a owning friend of mine  told me today how his crankshaft snapped
whilst doing a steady 80 mph on his way to Coventry. This is around
3,500 rpm on a TR4a. It broke between the flywheel and the back rod.
I'm told racing TR's have a low redline of around 5,500 rpm.

Is there a cure for this or is it a design feature ?? I suggested
nitriding the crank  and having it the short motor balanced as
individual parts  and then as a whole from fan to clutch. Are TR lumps
prone to this problem and is it an oil feed problem or are the cranks
weak ?

   TR2-4 cranks ARE prone to this kind of thing.  One reason, is that there is
no harmonic balancer on the front.  There is a shop, "British Frame and Engine"
in Southern CA that sells a retrofit harmonic balancer for these cars. They
also have lots of interesting TR competition bits.

          - Jerry Kaidor

p.s.  I have no relationship with British Frame and Engine.  I've never even
bought anything from them, just ogled the catalog!