re: TR8 oil filter

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: re: TR8 oil filter
From: mit-eddie!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!davevh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed Oct 03 11:47:39 1990
| >Question:  Does it matter if the wrong (larger) size oil filter is used?
| >
| >jim
|
| As to filter size, the
| only thing that initially matters (IMHO) is that the threaded
| portion (filter to spin on threads) matches and that the
| rubber gasket seats properly against the correct milled
| surface of the engine wher the filter tightens down.  After
| that, the use of a larger filter should simply result in
| having a greater surface area internally for the oil to flow through.
| That should result in less buidup of trapped particles per square
| inch of filter surface for a larger filter on the same engine.
|
| Bill Sohl

I agree with Bill's analysis, but someone should
mention the bypass valve.  As I understand it, if the oil filter gets
clogged enough to impede oil flow, a bypass valve within the filter opens
to allow oil to flow around the clogged filter element.  The definition
of 'clogged enough' varies with the filter, so just randomly swapping
filters could conceivably get you one with a valve stiff enough to allow
your bearings to starve before it opens.  Of course, that's only if you let
it get clogged, which is less likely on a large filter anyway.  With regular
oil changes, the bypass valve will most likely never be used no matter what
its setting.

I'm using the same PH8A on my Lotus Twin Cam, BTW.  The PH8A is spec'd for
Ford V8s, including the 427 & 460 I think, so I figure I'm not pushing it
too hard. :)

Dave Van Horn