re: TR8 oil filter

To: ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!jtc@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: TR8 oil filter
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 2 Oct 1990 21:10 EDT
>I'm writing to just the TR8 owners on the british car
>mailing list first.  This weekend I discovered I've probably
>been using the wrong size oil filter on my 8(!).  The car
>came with a Fram PH8A and an extra Motorcraft FL1A so I just
>assumed that was the correct size.  I do not have an owner's
>manual and the shop manual I bought from TRF doesn't give a
>recommended size that I can find.  Saturday I found a TR8
>listing in a Purolator catalog:  PER18 is the recommended
>filter.  That does NOT cross reference to a FRAM PH8A...
>Hmmmm.  Looks like the 'proper' filter is supposed to be
>smaller than the PH8A.
>
>Question:  What does everyone have on their 8s?  Does it
>matter if the wrong (larger) size oil filter is used?
>(Thought I'd ask you 'experts' BEFORE calling the local
>parts store and/or consulting folks on the mailing list.)
>
>Thanks,
>jim

I checked the filter on my 8 tonight; its a Valvolene Filter
number VO-24.  It is a large filter.  As to filter size, the
only thing that initially matters (IMHO) is that the threaded
portion (filter to spin on threads) matches and that the
rubber gasket seats properly against the correct milled
surface of the engine wher the filter tightens down.  After
that, the use of a larger filter should simply result in
having a greater surface area internally for the oil to flow through.
That should result in less buidup of trapped particles per square
inch of filter surface for a larger filter on the same engine.

Bill Sohl                          ||                email
Bellcore                           ||        UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research)     ||                  or
201-829-2879 Weekdays              || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com