Research again

To: friends@various.places
Subject: Research again
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Christopher A. Kent)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 16:58:40 PDT
I've been offered an opportunity to go to Xerox PARC and work on
software and systems research. Since that is what I kept telling myself
I wanted to do while I was struggling to finish my PhD, I'm going to
take them up on it. I'll be working on a project called "Ubiquitous
Computing" which explores a world in which computers and displays are
in the objects around us, where using computers is an integral part
of people's everyday lives and is as easy as using paper and pencil.
I'll be glad to tell you more.

Leaving Digital is hard -- I've been part of Digital since 1983 (when I was a
summer student at WRL), and the ties are strong and close. But this is an
opportunity I just can't pass up.

My last day at Digital will be October 9, after which I'll be taking a short
vacation before starting at PARC. If all goes well, mail to this address will
get forwarded to an appropriate new address (I don't know what it will be yet
-- when I do, I'll set up an 'answering machine' notifier, too).

chris