Re: Whitworth, British Sedans in the US.

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Whitworth, British Sedans in the US.
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 90 09:12:06 EDT
I'm not quite clear on the "solution" as posted about Whitworth bolt sizes.
I think the Machine Handbook may still be right. Lets not confuse BS and BSF
with Whitworth now. Time to check pre-1924 handbooks, newer ones, and
some knowledgable British sources. (Abingdon Spares might know, when Gerry
gets back form England. I think the grand opening of the new MGCC offices
(return to Abingdon!) is this week, as well as the N.E. "T" Reg. Tour of
England, in _their_ T's)

(Larry Colen - Nerd in a black leather jacket) Asks:

>  Don, My partner in crime (spridgetwise) asked me about the
>threads on spridget head studs.  He was trying to chase the
>threads, but was unable to find something of the correct pitch.
>Are they per chance Whitworth?

No. They are regular American-type Fine or Course threads. (I think that
those are fine on the nut end, and course on the block end?) I can check,
if you're really stuck, as I have a trash engine is pieces.

OK, so who really knows anything about Sterlings? We are getting ready
to aquire a family sized car, and are debating what to get. So, we have
to consider whatever we can find from accross the pond. ;-) The Sterlings
have had bad press, and word is that they go fairly cheap at used car
acutions, as most dealers don't want them. So, what are the _real_
problems? Consumer reports shows black marks in the brake and electrical
systems, and no rosy marks. But they have that Acura 6, and all the
goodies. I could pick up a nice Jaguar XJ L12 for a good price, but
I hate the thought of having to run it through NY winters. Still, It
might cost less than a Honda...
      Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
        The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."