Re: Real Spitfires

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Real Spitfires
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 15:42 EDT
    From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>

    Yes, I got the distinct impression that these planes were of post '30s
    vintage.  Most WW II aircraft that were operational throughout the war
    underwent fairly dramatic changes as technology improved.  If you compare
    an early P-51 to one used in Korea (actually redesignated F-51) you would
    hardly recognize them as the same aircraft.  I thought the canopies and
    coolant air intake ducts looked very post thirty-ish.  Still, they're Spits.

there were more than ten marks of spitfire, and they were in use into
the 50s in the Fleet Air Arm (which the RAF provides to the Royal Navy),
as i recall.

    >1940 and this starts in 1939 (I think, or certainly before 1940).  Still,

    I believe the Germans invaded Poland on September 3rd, 1939.

right.  the Battle of Britain did not occur until after France
was overrun in May-June of 1940.  between the invasion of Poland
by Germany and the USSR, and the Battle of Britain, Norway was
invaded and Denmark was overrun, and the Battle of the Atlantic
commenced.

richard