Re: Real Spitfires

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Real Spitfires
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 10:30:03 pdt
>That "Piece Of Cake" thingy on Materpiece Theatre looks real good.  I don't
>recall seeing a full compliment of 12, tho'.  Looks more like 1/2 a dozen
>to me.  I read a review of this work, and I thought it said they had about

You're probably right.  Have to admit I didn't really count them.  I was just
so please to see that many of them in one place at the same time.

>that many planes in it.  Seems the planes used were not used in Britain.
>They were flown by some air force in some south Pacific are like Malaysia
>in the early 50's.  Another interesting factor, so said the review, is that

Yes, I got the distinct impression that these planes were of post '30s
vintage.  Most WW II aircraft that were operational throughout the war
underwent fairly dramatic changes as technology improved.  If you compare
an early P-51 to one used in Korea (actually redesignated F-51) you would
hardly recognize them as the same aircraft.  I thought the canopies and
coolant air intake ducts looked very post thirty-ish.  Still, they're Spits.

>1940 and this starts in 1939 (I think, or certainly before 1940).  Still,

I believe the Germans invaded Poland on September 3rd, 1939.

>said the review, that can be excused because there are probably only 2
>Hurricains still flying in the world and the Spitfire is prettier anyway.
Absolutely!!

>Jim

Roland