Re: TR7 Clutch Flakiness

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: TR7 Clutch Flakiness
From: mit-eddie!adobe.com!jeynes@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Ross A. Jeynes)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 90 15:24:32 PDT
Dan sez:

> clear it up. The clutch feel definitely changes as the car is driven
> in stop and go traffic. It appears to have less travel and engages
> much earlier. If I park the car for a bit and then start it again
> it seems to go back to normal.

Aha! Someone else _does_ have this problem.  I've been thinking that
it may be due to a slightly leaky master cylinder, that leaks back to
somewhere that the fluid can be recycled.  (At least in my case, the
master cylinder doesn't seem to be losing fluid.)

The color of the fluid for both the clutch and brakes in my car have
me somewhat concerned; they're both black.  I'm hoping that the
previous owner didn't use the wrong kind of brake fluid.  (This
happened to me on a Spitfire that I used to own, and caused no end of
problems.)  Was the previous owner of your car "British-aware"?

I've driven another TR-7 that didn't have this problem, so I think
that we really do have something to fix in our cars.

-ross   jeynes@adobe.com